Orlando Law Firm

E-2 Investor Visa

E-2 Investor Visa


The United States government is all about trying to get foreign investors to bring their business to the United States. One way of promoting business is through the United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) visa programs

One of the popular Investor visas is the E-2 investor visa. If a foreign national wants to open a business in the United States, and are from one of the so-called treaty countries, they may be able to apply for an E-2 visa. Once secured, the E-2 visa must be renewed every five years, but there is no limit to the number of times it can be renewed.

The criteria for obtaining an E-2 visa are not exactly clear cut. The visa is intended for a person who is going to be a substantial investment in a US based enterprise, and then control that investment. Obviously, there are many types of enterprises that can fall into that category. It may mean purchasing an existing business and continuing to run it, or it may be bringing a new idea and a new endeavor to Orlando and starting a new business.

As you can see, the criteria for the investment are not cut and dried. For example, a new startup must have an investment that is large enough to start and operate the business. The definition of “large enough” depends on the type of business you plan to operate. It makes sense that if you plan to open a small rental property management company, the investment will be different than if you planned on opening a widget manufacturing company that will employ thousands. The USCIS uses an “inverted sliding scale” to determine if the investment is substantial enough to qualify the applicant for the investor visa.

Once started, if the business is closed for any reason, the applicant must either apply to change their status, or return to their native country.

If you are coming to this country on an E-2 visa, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 will also have to apply for a derivative of the E-2. The duration of the visa will depend on the nationality of the dependent. If the nationality is the same as the E-2 holder, the duration will be the same. If not, it will depend on the treaty between the US and the native country. While in the United States, the spouse can apply for documentation so they can look for work. Children under the age of 21 cannot seek employment

As you can see, the regulations in place to apply for an E-2 visa can be confusing. If you are interested in learning more about acquiring a E-2 Investor Visa, you would be wise to consult with a knowledgeable Attorney to help you navigate the government bureaucracy and ever changing rules.  E-2 Investor Attorney in Orlando, Joe Knape has the background and experience to help you get your Visa and maintain it while you are in the United States building your business.

Attorney Joe Knape can be reached for a Free Consultation at 407-508-7774.

Find Out More